The LGW EnoGastro Journey
The Heart & Soul of Italy
October 16-26, 2019
October 17-27, 2019
Travel and network with members of Leadership of Greater Washington with intimate experiences. On the LGW EnoGastro Journey, our unique excursions will feature a maximum of 20 people, creating the opportunity for special access to family-owned micro-producers and exclusive boutique-style businesses not accessible to large tours. Traveling through Tuscany, Umbria, and Emilia Romagna, this customized intimate group experience will give you the gift of discovering the secrets of the culinary Heart of Italy! Join LGW on this trip for those who don’t like group tours….
Umbria and Assisi (Villa Zuccari – 2/3 nights)
- Explore Assisi’s pristinely preserved medieval centro storico and Giotto’s frescos in the Basilica of St. Francis, UNESCO World Heritage Site (UWHS)
- Tour and tasting at Mazzatosta Caseificio (cheesemaker of the freshest Ricotta and Pecorino cheese you’ve ever tasted)
- Visit Valorosi Rossano Frantoio (olive press) to understand olive oil production, and learn how to taste and evaluate olive oil from a professional oil taster
- Meet the Romanelli Family, wine and olive oil producers, and pioneers in supporting biodiversity though eco-sustainability in their vineyard and olive groves
- Visit the postcard village of Civita di Bagnoregio and the enchanting Umbrian hill town of Orvieto
- Discover the town and ceramic heritage of Deruta where some of the finest local artisans will open their workshops allowing you to see (or watch them make) their masterpieces
Tuscany – Chianti and Val d’Orcia (Hotel Radda – 3/2 nights)
- The Val D’Oricia (UWHS) region of Tuscany, covered with endless vineyards and olive orchards, rolling hills of grain and sunflowers, is famous for its picturesque towns, distinguished wines, and high quality locally sourced products
- Lunch and Wine Tasting at Poggio Rubino where you’ll learn about the production process of the famous Brunello di Montalcino. Tour the winery and enjoy a lunch prepared with the freshest ingredients from their biodynamic garden
- Get an up-close look at the vinification process of the famous wines of this region. Local wine experts will share the evolution of Chianti as a wine region with historic, cultural and geographic complexity and lead you through tastings at La Marronaia, among others of the area’s boutique wineries. Learn about the Black Rooster symbol on the top Chianti reds
- Visit two of Italy’s most beloved towns, Siena (UWHS) and San Gimignano (UWHS)
Emilia Romagna – (Hotel Carlton – 3 nights)
In Bologna, all groups will converge to enjoy all activities and events together.
- Emilia-Romagna is widely considered to have the best food in Italy. Explore the epicenter of gourmet Italian culture in the very best place to delve into Italy’s culinary scene
- Visit Modena (UWHS), a city that has preserved its historical storefronts and merchants creating a priceless heritage of butcher shops, bakeries, coffee roasters, grocery stores, and restaurants. Visit an acetaia where the family owners will reveal the secrets of traditional Aceto Balsamico
- Taste your way through Parma… visit a cheese dairy to discover how milk is processed and transformed into the King of Cheeses, Parmigiano-Reggiano; discover the secrets of Prosciutto di Parma; and visit a XII-c aging cellar where the Culatello di Zibello salami rests for years. You will have a chance to interact with the producers and guided tastings throughout
- Bologna (UWHS) is known for its ancient architecture, tortellini and salsa Bolognese. A local expert will help us get to know all three as well as one of the richest food markets in Europe
- Travel back in time to a XVII-c anatomy lab in the dramatic Teatro Anatomicoof the University of Bologna, Italy’s oldest university
- You’re in the home of fast luxury cars… Lamborghini, Ferrari! Possibility of test track experience (upcharge)
Rome (Hilton Fiumicino – logistical airport overnight prior to departure, 1 night)
- Farewell dinner in a local Roman Trattoria.
The benefits of traveling with LGW
- Carefully chosen four-star accommodations representative of Italy
- Fully escorted trip with private drivers, experienced guides, and subject-matter experts
- Specialty food and wine events each day
- Daily hotel breakfasts and lunch or dinner (or both) each day
- Professional escorts from departure through return
- A series of pre-trip gatherings for escort/tour guide meet-and-greets and trip briefing orientations
- Seminars/lectures with business and political leaders about current situations/challenges
- Unique networking opportunities
$4,250 per person (share), single supplement +$750
Accommodations in four-star hotels (10 days/9 nights); all local transport while in Italy; meals (daily breakfasts + daily tastings + daily lunch or dinner with water, vino, coffee; all touring, guides, entrance fees; travel insurance, all gratuities, all taxes and fees.
Optional Rome Extension (return October 30, 2019)
$1,225 per person (share), single supplement +$350 includes: 3 nights/4 days in a 4-star city center hotel, “Rome & Vatican 101” private group tours, neighborhood foodie stroll, transfers, daily breakfast and one special dinner.
What’s not included?
Airfare and some meals. Optional group airfare price to be announced in Dec ’18 – estimated $1,450 Economy/$1,800 Premium Economy with non-stop service between Washington Dulles and Rome. Business Class airfares available on request, or you are free to arrange your own flights. Airfares open up about 10 months in advance. Trip price based on current Euro exchange (Jul 2018) of 1.20, any swings of more than 7.5% up or down may be passed on or rebated to participants.
The LGW EnoGastro Journey trip arrangements will be made by Bethesda Travel Center LLC and professional trip escorts Guido Adelfio and Pietro Masi. Trip itinerary subject to substitutions and improvements.
What to Expect Going Forward
Secure your spot today by registering and making your $500 per person deposit ($750 with Rome Extension). Space is limited.
A series of informational briefings and social events will be scheduled to help build the excitement.
Bethesda Travel Center [BTC] will carefully monitor the airfares beginning late Nov/early Dec. If you are interested using points, arranging your own flights, or upgrading to Business Class, BTC will be happy to consult with you.
Upon registration, BTC will file your Trip Insurance policy for basic coverage and share the details with you.
A second deposit of $1,500 p/p will be due on DEC 15, 2018, final balance on AUG 15, 2019
We hope your plans will not change, but if you have to cancel the LGW trip:
Up to MAR 14, 2019 all non-airfare payments are freely refundable
MAR 15, 2019-JUN 14, 2019 50% non refundability will apply
After JUN 15, 2019, no refunds
Qualified refund requests may be made subject to the terms of Trip Insurance, and BTC will assist in the claim process.